Why the veterans are leaving

Spessmens go here
Bondle

Why the veterans are leaving

Post by Bondle » November 9th, 2019, 1:32 pm

So I decided to get on finally, SS13 is a disease I can't shake off completely so I've decided to see what's up - read that post by Miles Moralis and that got me thinking... Why exactly is everyone leaving hippie? Why not earlier and why not later? As a vet myself, I can only assume what's going on through the other people's minds which I'll try to outline. There's a myriad of reasons that have caused people to leave this game and a few that can be fixed to maybe entice those players from their self imposed exile back to playing spess autism.

From my perspective, I've felt that SS13 has honestly gone stale at this point. It's the same actions that you take every round - to the point that it's routine; merely muscle memory. The same monotonous job keeps going on over and over, a cap has been reached where you are not able to learn anything new. There might be a few tips and tricks or hidden cards that have yet to be seen, but that isn't enticing enough for me to return. I've reached a level where there is nothing new, nor surprising to be seen in any round I play. There comes a point where you've felt that you've done it all. When I was active in my latest stint, my goal was to master every aspect of SS13 and I've done that.

I know that SS13 is in the "gimmicks" that you do or the actions you take. As in that it is up to the player to make their own fun, some people see this differently. For example, a lot of my fun comes from murderboning, but even after a while murder-boning becomes quite stale and that's due to the lack of continuity and the damage that it brings to the community if it continues or is sustained for a few rounds (as in people start leaving, etc. rounds start becoming much more slower paced and all around is generally shitty thing to do.) After my stint with that, I actually tried doing gimmicks on Hippie, but the other murderboners were detrimental to my fun. I started seeing what the problem was and how much of an issue it was.

There is a void, however, in SS13. That void is a lack of new content being released. Don't get me wrong, the coderbus exists and is great for new features but a lack of centralization between servers and their coders means that new features are pumped out way more slowly with a lack of direction and a lack of ideas. One offset was the open-endedness of features brought to SS13. It's great that everything is left up to interpretation and usage in SS13. What I mean when I say this is that most, if not all aspects, are open ended in the way that you can use them to facilitate your own creations or memes and that has led the game to prolong its life. You're able to even combine different aspects of the game, a great example of this is botany and chemistry, to create completely new ideas and concepts. The way the game is left up to interpretation allows us, even statistically speaking, to do new shit that people might have not thought of before.

And with heaven came hell - the way the game was structured gave rise to the meta. The idea of a meta existing on SS13 has doomed it. While people used the contents of the game to create new contraptions, some have abused it to empower themselves. Cappy and meteoses built upon this by capitalizing everything to their own gain (see: meth implants, riot shields, etc.) and that has spawned a new era of players that only go after the dreaded meta. Those players do not really care for the welfare of the game. They abused, or rather facilitated the way those different aspects of the game converge to powerplay or powergame on Hippie, to show you how much of an impact this is - look at other MRP and HRP servers' laws on powergaming and metagaming. To say I was not, to some extent, one of them would be a mistake on my end, honestly. I did to some extent participate in that by scouring code to give me an edge. This is why I look back at this right now and see that the actions that countless players such as I and Roma took to be ultimately detrimental to the server. There is a counter, however. If there was a fix to hippie, it would be the changes that KBB has talked about. More specifically, nerfs to quell the power of metagamers/powerplayers. It would be changes and nerfs to any and all power-gaming strategies.
Deskdrawer

Re: Why the veterans are leaving

Post by Deskdrawer » November 9th, 2019, 1:35 pm

N O V E L
Bondle

Post by Bondle » November 9th, 2019, 1:36 pm

Deskdrawer wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 1:35 pm
N O V E L
It's a year of thinking condensed into a post mein nigga.
freshonionvendor

Post by freshonionvendor » November 9th, 2019, 1:48 pm

thats why u need closed source or seekrit content only known to the heads and the coder that adds it
Miles Moralis

Post by Miles Moralis » November 9th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Bondle wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 1:32 pm
So I decided to get on finally, SS13 is a disease I can't shake off completely so I've decided to see what's up - read that post by Miles Moralis and that got me thinking... Why exactly is everyone leaving hippie? Why not earlier and why not later? As a vet myself, I can only assume what's going on through the other people's minds which I'll try to outline. There's a myriad of reasons that have caused people to leave this game and a few that can be fixed to maybe entice those players from their self imposed exile back to playing spess autism.

From my perspective, I've felt that SS13 has honestly gone stale at this point. It's the same actions that you take every round - to the point that it's routine; merely muscle memory. The same monotonous job keeps going on over and over, a cap has been reached where you are not able to learn anything new. There might be a few tips and tricks or hidden cards that have yet to be seen, but that isn't enticing enough for me to return. I've reached a level where there is nothing new, nor surprising to be seen in any round I play. There comes a point where you've felt that you've done it all. When I was active in my latest stint, my goal was to master every aspect of SS13 and I've done that.

I know that SS13 is in the "gimmicks" that you do or the actions you take. As in that it is up to the player to make their own fun, some people see this differently. For example, a lot of my fun comes from murderboning, but even after a while murder-boning becomes quite stale and that's due to the lack of continuity and the damage that it brings to the community if it continues or is sustained for a few rounds (as in people start leaving, etc. rounds start becoming much more slower paced and all around is generally shitty thing to do.) After my stint with that, I actually tried doing gimmicks on Hippie, but the other murderboners were detrimental to my fun. I started seeing what the problem was and how much of an issue it was.

There is a void, however, in SS13. That void is a lack of new content being released. Don't get me wrong, the coderbus exists and is great for new features but a lack of centralization between servers and their coders means that new features are pumped out way more slowly with a lack of direction and a lack of ideas. One offset was the open-endedness of features brought to SS13. It's great that everything is left up to interpretation and usage in SS13. What I mean when I say this is that most, if not all aspects, are open ended in the way that you can use them to facilitate your own creations or memes and that has led the game to prolong its life. You're able to even combine different aspects of the game, a great example of this is botany and chemistry, to create completely new ideas and concepts. The way the game is left up to interpretation allows us, even statistically speaking, to do new shit that people might have not thought of before.

And with heaven came hell - the way the game was structured gave rise to the meta. The idea of a meta existing on SS13 has doomed it. While people used the contents of the game to create new contraptions, some have abused it to empower themselves. Cappy and meteoses built upon this by capitalizing everything to their own gain (see: meth implants, riot shields, etc.) and that has spawned a new era of players that only go after the dreaded meta. Those players do not really care for the welfare of the game. They abused, or rather facilitated the way those different aspects of the game converge to powerplay or powergame on Hippie, to show you how much of an impact this is - look at other MRP and HRP servers' laws on powergaming and metagaming. To say I was not, to some extent, one of them would be a mistake on my end, honestly. I did to some extent participate in that by scouring code to give me an edge. This is why I look back at this right now and see that the actions that countless players such as I and Roma took to be ultimately detrimental to the server. There is a counter, however. If there was a fix to hippie, it would be the changes that KBB has talked about. More specifically, nerfs to quell the power of metagamers/powerplayers. It would be changes and nerfs to any and all power-gaming strategies.

Every point is absolutely correct. The perspective of players have changed over the past years. Things got really stale and we all kind of do the same every round if not a traitor or antag.

To say more specifically, I actually observed the Hippie station statbus logs and had noticed some similarities, like people choosing same job for 4-5 rounds continuously, then doing the same thing they did in past rounds again and again. It's like they are always preparing for something out of blue bcz there ARE powergamers who just abuse the rule system and gets off with it bcz "Hippie Station is a lax roleplay". They would just strip you or steal something important from you and let you go off as it is not against rules. This is both killbaiting and rule lawyering. And tbh I just don't like, absolute shiitery that has gotten hippie station over the past few years.
Milesmoralis

[img]file:///F:/Screenshot_10.png[/img]
KBB
Head Admin

Post by KBB » November 9th, 2019, 6:02 pm

based
KBB
Head Admin

Post by KBB » November 9th, 2019, 6:13 pm

You're not wrong at all, I feel bad for the new players who never played old hippie.
People stopped wanting to have fun and instead wanted to flex their e-peen, and the coders couldn't keep up. TG is getting hit by the same thing and they're actively removing content and putting out salt PR after salt PR, treating the game as if it's a combat sim. The game lost a lot of its open-endedness to suit combat. It's all one giant mess.
However, you can be defeatist about it, sit on your hands and cry about it, or you can try to do something about it. If you're upset that the game isn't getting any content, then go make the content. If you're upset new players are only murderboning, then try to be a better influence for them than someone like Enthethan.
It's funny to see how some people respond to that. "How would I fix the game?" Do they just add a bunch of content to departments or do they start going on huge tides of balance changes? Or do they just say "fuck you that not my job" and leave?
Or you can just be like me and stick around for the community even though the game isn't fun at all any more.
ilikecocacola

Post by ilikecocacola » November 10th, 2019, 2:19 am

KBB has already said what I would of, but the constant removal of otherwise fun content really hurts the game for me. We always like to port stuff from TG in mass, and every time we gain something retarded like non-binary genders, or lose something good like telescience. The Salt PR's from essentially every SS13 coder doesn't help either. I kind of miss the feeling when I first played SS13, where everything was new & crazy, I didn't even know a wiki existed so I just explored, and when I died it was fun. I got banned from a ton of servers initially, but the game was like nothing I had ever seen before. Nostalgia is a nice feeling.
i am god of xenobiology
Miles Moralis

Post by Miles Moralis » November 10th, 2019, 4:14 am

For my part, I always try to make rounds an interesting rp and craft rare things to make the round and station better. And again sometimes I pray to admins for it, so they can do it much more easily. So even though I can't add the "content", I try to flourish up the old existing "contents" which people might forget about one day.
Milesmoralis

[img]file:///F:/Screenshot_10.png[/img]