4-5-2019 / ROUND ID: 38608
Ban Reason:
Beat the Mime to death because he disarmed him and dropped his gun
Ban Type:
Jobban
Ban Length:
1 Week
Why should I be unbanned:
I'll be honest, the first time I royally fucked up at this game was when I first started. I suddenly got the choice at being an antag, doing that creepy host thing and I had no clue what I was doing. I ended up fucking up because I thought my job was to cause as much chaos as possible. I was wrong and I was corrected by an admin, and I had a talk with the guy I wronged. It was a two-day ban on antag roles and I was requested to read the rules, which I did during the match and maintained a dialog with the admin until I reassured them I accepted the punishment - because I was being an idiot. Recently, however, I've come across another ban that prevents me from playing the only role I'm trying to get better in: Detective.

My mistake in this match apparently was reacting to being character-blocked in the Head of Personnel line. I'm still learning shit so maybe I didn't come across clearly enough to this admin or maybe he see's that I'm new and just basically gave me the finger, fine. I get it. I'm a new guy and you got to protect those you've played longer with, if applicable. In any event, this mime in particular had trapped not only my character, but two others in the line and was working with some jolly green giant to prevent our movement. In the beginning I was okay with it, it's a mime and I read the rules, don't be a dick. But then he began to, in character attempt to disarm, push me down, and generally be an overzealous dick when I managed to get in the front of the line and pulled me around to the back. I'm sure if I was an experienced player, this wouldn't be a problem. I informed Security over the channel that they needed to head to my location because I couldn't basically deal with the mime, and that, asserting in character, "he'd be dead if he didn't stop". I finally got fed up and lost my humor in the situation with the crap and shot at him a few times, then got disarmed by him or the green guy, got screwed around with further before the stations gravity went out, and I was stranded floating above the mime.

I don't ever recall in this event at which point I specifically killed the mime, if it was me. There was another guy who was beating the shit out of him (another guy he got stuck in line) and I'm pretty damn sure he got the last blow. In my eyes, me taking that baton and beating the dead body was worth it. I know mimes are not allowed to talk, so I maintained character during the event and shouted something about losing my gun and blah blah. Thereafter the admin contacted me.

My problem with this situation is that I wasn't the only one who responded to the Mimes antics against them. In particular, I know for a fact I didn't gun him down, because I was disarmed well before I could have gained the intent. The only point I beat him was when I was stuck floating and he was already dead, at least as far as I could tell, I'm still new, and I know dang well the considerations for rule 2. At least, again, my preliminary understanding of it. I'm very new to this game, but I didn't react to this situation with what I felt was an Out of Character intent or an intent to violate rule 2. I acted as I thought my character would because by the time I fired, the mime was really getting me beat up (and again I'm new so that's pretty damn easy, I die a lot), so I responded with what I felt was appropriate force. The only point of this thaty I think was too far was when I beat the dead body. I was stuck floating above a corpse, what other things could there be to do?

In conclusion, I'm okay with you instructing me about this situation and telling me I'm a fucking idiot, but banning me from the one role I'm not only learning but basically play when I get on for an entire week is downright extensive. Not only that, but I know for a dang fact I wasn't the only character after that mime, so I'm curious as to why in particular I was chosen. I mean I can deal with it if I got to, but give me a dang break here. Banning me from roles doesn't solve your situation, it doesn't encourage me in any way if I believe I did not nothing wrong to fix something I don't understand. Giving me an explanation to my question to you, Wheezl, that basically amounts to, "oh well fucking deal with it" (he did not use language) doesn't help. I want to learn this game and I've been trying my dangest to get into this character and be him. On the opposite side I also understand this isn't - or isn't advertised as - an experienced server, so I was under the impression that as I make mistakes I'm going to get the chance to correct them.

If I actually killed the guy, let me know, let me work on it, but don't prevent me from enjoying something that is bringing me into this game. I want to correct my actions. I'm not here to shit troll or be a dick. I want to be involved. And quite frankly I feel I was selected out of the those involved because I know I'm, and yeah, I'm kinda irked about that especially with how instructive the other admin was in helping me at least better my understanding of how I could better role play with others.

Anyway, that's my dang reasoning. By doing what you did Wheezl and basically flatlining me with a ruling like that, I ain't learning anyhthing from this experience and I in fact come away rather miffed instead of instructed. I get its a busy server, I get maybe you're dealing with a lot, but I'm new. I need help in learning how to improve, not some directed short response on "oh yeah read the rules again". I did the first time and if I am in fact misunderstanding, I need to know and get it corrected.

EDIT TL;DR

Sorry for the paragraphs of shit, guess I'm the only retard who enjoys reading through stuff like that (no offense). Basically, I wasn't the only dumbass who beat this mime, but I got a punishment that directly hindered my fun replayability and learning as a newbie. I took offense and went autistic with multi-paragraph explanation.
Last edited by Drakomis on April 5th, 2019, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bargin Mart

Re: [Drakomis] [Jobban] by [Wheezl]

Post by Bargin Mart » April 5th, 2019, 3:13 am

please just tldr
Drakomis

Post by Drakomis » April 5th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Bargin Mart wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 3:13 am
please just tldr
TL;DR added.
JackTheBanned wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 4:02 am
Jeez man. It's a week jobban...Why the fuck did you write an entire in-depth description of the incident and your flaws. Nothing wrong with it just, jeez..
I guess because I actually am enjoying my time on Hippie Station and I want to learn? It's like an ability was stripped right then and there because I was new, and because the admin just could, and it fucking irked me like shit. Anyway I've gotten over much of the butthurt by now but man it pisses me off that even though I wasn't the only one who beat that dumbass mime I get blamed for his death.
Carbonhell

Post by Carbonhell » April 5th, 2019, 2:07 pm

This is your first punishment, so honestly i would've gone with a simple note and an explanation as for why what you did was wrong. I would like Wheezl to explain his point of view as to what happened exactly, if you killed the mime because he was being a dick but only by disarming you, then yeah, that's over escalation. Self defense applies when someone tries to kill you, disarms and pushes do not classify as lethal intent.
Waiting for the banning admin's opinion (also, i like the full detailed explanation, don't listen to jack)
Lxtoofonea

Post by Lxtoofonea » April 5th, 2019, 2:22 pm

here, i have a helpful tip for you when it comes to escalation. would you do it in real life, Its not applicable 100% of the time, but most times it is (does not apply to antag) for example, if a mime kept blocking you form walking out of a door and pushing you over, i dont think you and a gang of people would beat the man to death. but if the mime came at you with a knife, you taking that knife from him and killing him with it would be something you might do in real life, and it would be valid in game.
Bargin Mart

Post by Bargin Mart » April 5th, 2019, 2:25 pm

If you really are a newfag and this is your first punishment a week ban isn't really acceptable +1 for removing the ban +1 for adding a note
Drakomis

Post by Drakomis » April 5th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Lxtoofonea wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 2:22 pm
here, i have a helpful tip for you when it comes to escalation. would you do it in real life, Its not applicable 100% of the time, but most times it is (does not apply to antag) for example, if a mime kept blocking you form walking out of a door and pushing you over, i dont think you and a gang of people would beat the man to death. but if the mime came at you with a knife, you taking that knife from him and killing him with it would be something you might do in real life, and it would be valid in game.
Alright, that makes a bit more sense to me. I was under the impression that since Hippie Station was more relaxed, I would have to be too in my enjoyment of it. That was what cost me my first two-day ban on antag roles from an admin whom I forgot the name of. In whatever capacity, that Admin helped me understand and comprehend the seriousness of the situation which was what furthered me into the Detective role. In that situation with the mime, I think I probably lost focus of the event, but at the same time I genuinely think I tried to play the role. It's very clear from your explanation that I failed that, and I'm going to work on improving that in the future.
Carbonhell wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 2:07 pm
This is your first punishment, so honestly i would've gone with a simple note and an explanation as for why what you did was wrong. I would like Wheezl to explain his point of view as to what happened exactly, if you killed the mime because he was being a dick but only by disarming you, then yeah, that's over escalation. Self defense applies when someone tries to kill you, disarms and pushes do not classify as lethal intent.
Waiting for the banning admin's opinion (also, i like the full detailed explanation, don't listen to jack)
To be fair, this is my second. As I freely admitted, I had already a two-day ban on antag roles due to my dipship stupidity of abusing that role with the...siliconoid? Whatever it was where you alt+click to make bombs. I got to learn that role real quick with the judging admin who took the time to explain why I was fucked up for doing what I did, and how to better my experience.

I think my misunderstanding of the mime situation arose when the mime was intentionally trapping multiple people in line and then dragged myself after disarming around the line, and back to the front where I was stuck again. He kept doing this to the point where instead of me actually enjoying the game, I was becoming less amused by it. I figured through this event that was simply how one played the Mime, or it was one way to, because hell I've seen a clown be a total jackass to me but then again I am new to the station and this kind of treatment has been very typical. In that line of thinking, I figured my response was appropriate in how I treated it, but as has been explained by Lxtoofonea, I need to take into consideration a lot more factors into the situation also. I don't genuinely think I killed the mime, because I wasn't the only one beating the shit out of him, but then again that neither excuses that because I believed I was playing a role nor does my lack of experience excuse that action.

This is honestly what I would have appreciated to begin with, someone to point at me and state clearly, "That's not how you interact in this role. Here, this is better, use this as a reference or <insert experience here>". I believe the reason I got so defensive over this situation was because I didn't receive that, and instead got a blanket "fuck you" - which I admit an admin reserves the right to, but I'm not here to troll, I'm here to have fun after work and relax, to do something and contribute.
Bargin Mart wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 2:25 pm
If you really are a newfag and this is your first punishment a week ban isn't really acceptable +1 for removing the ban +1 for adding a note
I am, as I stated in the chat once, Hippie Station broke my cherry on SS13. I genuinely love the atmosphere and despite the amount of griefing I have received for being new, I have genuinely enjoyed it. Like I stated to Carbonhell, I perceived my reaction to my treatment from the mime was in line with what I saw everyone else dishing out. The punishment I got I didn't rightly understand because I didn't have a basis for understanding it, I believed it some blanket treatment.

I apologize for bitching about it, but I believe I was right to stand up and demand some sort of explanation so that I can better myself. If I ever do this shit again like this, hell yeah punish me. I would be an incompetent fuck at that point. But in this situation with the amount of variables at play, I'm still learning how to settle. I appreciate your consideration on this matter greatly.
Wheezl
Game Master

Post by Wheezl » April 6th, 2019, 12:34 am

I'm fine with getting rid of the jobban and adding a note since you're new. I had trouble understanding you when you responded to my pm. Remember to follow our rules for escalation of force in the future and you should do fine.
woross_cz

Post by woross_cz » April 6th, 2019, 1:34 am

Bargin Mart wrote:
April 5th, 2019, 3:13 am
please just tldr
>literally requesting a tldr as a fucking admin

Do you happen to have the attention span of a pea
rubjellyonme

Post by rubjellyonme » April 6th, 2019, 3:36 am

woross_cz wrote: